Is going as fast as possible the best way to commute to work on a bike? That’s the question we’re testing in this video, thanks to a guest appearance by former pro cyclocross racer, current coach and all-around amazing guy Mark McConnell, aka Hot Sauce (go check out his website here.)
Here’s how we tested the question. Mark, in athletic clothing and riding a fast bike, agreed to commute as fast as possible. Following the same route, I commute in my work clothes on my comfortable three-speed city bike. Who will have the better commute? Watch to find out.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Tom Babin is the author of Frostbike: The Joy, Pain and Numbness of Winter Cycling.
- A single-speed bike may be the key to your ultimate bike commute
- Bike racer or city cruiser: Who has the best bike commute?
- My summer mission: Photographing utility-box art in my city
- Why multiuse pathways sometimes suck for cyclists
- City bike, road bike or e-bike? What’s best for bicycle commuting?